Your Guide to the (CIE) Electrical Installation Certificate
The CIE is a mandatory form of documentation that all houses must possess in order to prove that the electrical installation is all in good order and compliant with technical requirements. It is paramount that you can prove as a home owner that the electrical installations within your home do not pose a hazard. To be able to sell your home, you have to be in possession of this certificate.
When do you need it?
- When you’re moving (e.g in to a newly built home) and need to have the electricity connected.
- Your property requires more power, the certificate will have to be amended to make way for this adjustments.
- You want to change your electrical installation from single phase to three phase. If you don’t know what this means – check the main switch in your power box to determine if it has two sections or three.
- Your certificate was issued more than twenty years ago. The certificate does not expire but if you’d like to make changes to the contract, it will most certainly have to be reviewed.
- As mentioned above, if you wish to sell your property.
How do you obtain it?
In most cases the contracted electrician will have to provide you with the CIE. If this is not possible, the electrical installation will have to be reviewed and a new certificate issued. The document is then registered with the official body. This is a relatively short and simple process if there are no technical obstacles within the system.
What details must the certificate include?
- Address of the property
- Owner’s details
- Characteristics of the installation such as the required voltage, surface area, details of the protection devices etc
- Authorised installer company
- Verification measurements
- Distribution company
How much does it cost?
It depends on a number of factors such as the electrician charges or the dimensions of the building. When new installations are made, the CIE is included in the quote for the work. However, regarding an installation for more than twenty years old requiring a review and new certificate, the chosen electrician is free to quote any price they choose.
The Marbella Living Team are professionally trained in guiding you to make your buying or selling process as uncomplicated as possible. Contact us to start the process together.